Friday, January 27, 2012

RECIPE: Haystacks (Vegetarian/Vegan)

Best Blogger Tips
[Print this Recipe]

When I was eight years-old, I began going to summer camp along the Platte River here in Nebraska.  For three years I would spend a week away from home each summer, swimming, canoeing, and singing around the campfire at night.  One of those nights, we would have hot dogs and S'mores cooked over the fire, much like other kids at camp across the country. 

Unlike most other summer camps, our meals were entirely vegetarian, even the vegetarian hot dogs over the campfire.   How cool is that?? 

Haystacks are one of those foods we would eat at summer camp. I didn't invent it, but I thought I would share.  It is very quick and easy to make.  It's kind of like a taco salad and my family loves it!

The beans add fiber and when mixed with the corn chips, provide a complete protein.  The tomatoes give the salad lots of vitamin C and lycopene.  Topping it with guacamole gives the salad heart-healthy monounsaturated fats.

HAYSTACKS

Ingredients:

*1 bag Fritos or other corn chips
*1/2 head of lettuce, shredded
*1 can of chili beans
*8 oz bag of shredded cheddar cheese or soy cheese
*1 diced tomato

Directions:

1. Heat chili beans over medium heat in saucepan. 
2. Place desired amount of corn chips in bowl, then layer with lettuce, chili beans, cheese, guacamole, and tomatoes.
3. Serve immediately.

Serves 4

What kinds of foods did you eat at summer camp?

This week, I shared six satisfying salads with you that can be eaten as a meal or to accompany a main course.


Sunday: I shared my favorite salad, Spinach with Chickpeas and Mushrooms.
Monday: See how I made an Asian Salad with Napa cabbage, Mandarin oranges, and cashews.
Tuesday: Check out the recipe for Southwest Salad using romaine lettuce, spicy ranch, shredded cheese, and salsa.
What Matthew Ate Wednesday: See what my four year-old son ate! I also shared Mixed Berry Salad with feta cheese and raspberry vinaigrette.
Thursday: I made Classic Romaine Salad with shredded Parmesan cheese, grape tomatoes, and black olives.

Next week, I will bring you healthy snacks for your Super Bowl party!







Pin It Best Blogger Tips
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...