Monday, January 9, 2012

RECIPE: Whole Wheat Freezer Biscuits

Best Blogger Tips
 
 
Most Saturday mornings, I try to make biscuits. 

 
We started this tradition when my husband and I first married. We go to church on Saturday, making it our busiest morning of the work.  I throw some biscuits in the oven before I shower.  My husband gets our sons up, trying to get at least one of them dressed before I get out of the bathroom.  They start eating as I get ready.  My husband hops in the shower as I take over with the boys.  Sometimes we even leave the house with a biscuit in our hands.

 
For a while, I was buying the refrigerated tube of biscuits.  They were made with hydrogenated fats, preservatives, and really didn't taste very good.  I also noticed how no one would eat the leftovers.

 
This recipe is great to make ahead of time.  You can mix the biscuits, roll them out, and freeze them individually.  Pull them out of the freezer, pop them in the oven, and they are ready in 15 minutes.

 
My recipe calls for white whole wheat flour, wheat bran, and soy flour.  The whole wheat and bran add fiber, while the soy flour makes the biscuits more moist while adding protein.

 
 First, I combined all of the dry ingredients.
 Then, I used my Foley Fork to cut in the butter.
It is an antique and I absolutely love this kitchen tool!
 I stopped mixing when it began to look crumbly.
 Next, I added almond milk.
 And I started mixing with a large spatula.
 I stopped mixing as soon as the dough began to come together.
Overmixing will make the biscuits chewy.
 I put the dough on my floured countertop.
 I rolled the dough to about 1/2 inch thickness.
 And I began cutting the biscuits out with a can
that has both ends cut off.
(I don't have a biscuit cutter.)
 Then, I put all the biscuits on a cookie sheet and froze them
for an hour before I put the frozen biscuits in a large freezer bag.
 When you are ready to make them,
take the frozen biscuits out of the freezer
and bake them in a preheated oven at 475F for 12-15 min.

WHOLE WHEAT FREEZER BISCUITS

Ingredients:

*3 3/4 c. whole wheat flour
*1/4 c. soy flour
*1/4 c. wheat bran
*1/4 c. sugar
*2 Tb. baking powder
*1 tsp. salt
*1 c. softened butter
*1 3/4 to 2 c. almond milk or dairy milk

Directions:

 
1. Combine flours, wheat bran, sugar, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. Using pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture looks like crumbs.
2. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk. Stir just until the dough comes together. The dough will be very sticky.
3. Turn dough onto floured surface, dust top with flour and gently roll out dough into a 1/2-inch thick. Cut out biscuits with a cutter, being sure to push straight down through the dough. Place biscuits on baking sheet so that they just touch. Reform scrap dough, working it as little as possible and continue cutting. (Biscuits from the second pass will not be quite as light as those from the first).
4. Place baking sheet into freezer for one hour. Place frozen biscuits into plastic bag and freeze until ready to bake. Bake fresh or frozen biscuits at 425F for 12-15 minutes.
 
What is your favorite on-the-go food?
  • Tuesday: You will learn how to make a tasty, high fiber breading for baked fish or chicken.
  • Wednesday: Read what Mike ate Wednesday. My husband wants to lose 15 lbs. and has asked me to create a diet for him. I'm so excited!
  • Thursday: I will make whole grain waffles for my four year-old. It is another recipe that can be made ahead and frozen to reheat later.
  • See whose blogs I am reading on Follow Friday!


 
Pin It Best Blogger Tips
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...