Tuesday, January 31, 2012

RECIPE: Spicy Roasted Almonds

Best Blogger Tips [Print this Recipe]

Every few months, we end up ordering take out pizza.  Each time we get mushroom and black olives for toppings, usually with mozzarella stuffed into the crust.  My mom and I have been eating mushroom and black olive pizza for about twenty years.  Now my husband loves it and my four year-old always asks for pizza this way.

We usually order buffalo wings, too.

I'm crazy for spicy food.  I like to order the wings with medium-hot sauce, though my husband would prefer mild.  There is something so delicious about sweet-salty-spicy flavors mixed together. 

For the Super Bowl next weekend, you could eat greasy buffalo wings like most Americans or you could get your spicy fix from something that is actually good for you. 

Almonds are a rich source of vitamin E, containing 26 mg per 100 g. They are also rich in dietary fiber, B vitamins, essential minerals and monounsaturated fat, one of the two "good" fats which potentially may lower LDL cholesterol. Typical of nuts and seeds, almonds also contain phytosterols, associated with cholesterol-lowering properties. (wikipedia)
These almonds have just the right amount of chili powder to make them spicy without being too hot.  They are a perfect to serve at your Super Bowl party or for a healthy snack anytime.
First, I added olive oil to the almonds, then chili powder, and salt. 
The trick to making perfect roasted nuts at home is to use super fine salt. 
You can make it easily by putting regular salt in your blender and grinding it into the
desired consistency.
 I mixed the almonds and seasonings well.
 Then, I spread them out on a large baking sheet.
They came out perfect!
[Print this Recipe]

SPICY ROASTED ALMONDS

Ingredients:

*2 c. raw almonds
*1 Tb. olive oil
*1 tsp. chili powder
*3/4 tsp. superfine salt

Directions:

1.  Preheat oven to 325F.  Combine all ingredients in large bowl.  Stir well until almonds are coated with oil and seasoning mixture.
2.  Spread almonds on large baking sheet.  Bake for 15-20 minutes.  Allow to cool completely before serving.

What is your favorite spicy food? 

I am sharing six healthy super bowl snacks with you this week.


Sunday: Learn how to make Mini Mushroom Pizzas.
Monday:  See my recipe for light and crispy Baked Kale Chips.

Wednesday: I will show you how to make Tortilla Spirals, a great finger food for your guests and you can see What Matthew Ate Wednesday, my four year-old vegetarian son.
Thursday: I will share Four Healthy Dips for your veggie tray.
Friday: See How Fruits Can Add Color and Nutrition to Your Super Bowl Feast.
Pin It Best Blogger Tips
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...