Tuesday, January 10, 2012

RECIPE: Flaxseed Breaded Chicken Strips

Best Blogger Tips
[Print this Recipe]

How is your day going? 

I made it to the Y today.  I'm proud of myself. I hadn't been there since I strained my knees in November.  I wanted to go back last week, but I knew it would be really busy.  I have been a member of the Y long enough to know that everyone wants to join in January.  It seems like all of us are trying to lose weight at the beginning of the year.

This week, I'm sharing high fiber recipes with you. 

As you may know, my sons have never eaten meat, but my husband and I eat meat 2-3 times a week. 

Chicken strips are one of my favorite foods.  When I was pregnant with my youngest son, I ate chicken strips five days a week.  Unfortunately, I bought about half of them from fast food restaurants, so they were loaded with fat.  I also bought frozen chicken strips which I baked in the oven.  Although they were not as unhealthy as the deep fried kind, they still had additives and unpronounceable ingredients.

Here is my recipe for high fiber chicken strips.  Instead of using bread crumbs, I have used ground flaxseed.  Flaxseed adds heart healthy Omega 3, antioxidants, and, of course, fiber.

The flaxseed provides a crispy texture to the chewy chicken.  I added a little Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and oregano for extra flavor.

 First, I ground the flaxseed in my Vitamix.
I like to grind it fresh.
I store whole flaxseed and ground flaxseed in an opaque container
in the refrigerator to keep it from going rancid.

 Next, I combined the flaxseed meal
with grated Parmesan, oregano, and garlic powder.
I always use a pie plate for breading
because of the large surface area and high edges.
 I cut the fat off of the chicken breasts and sliced it into strips.
 I worked assembly line-style, dipping the chicken in a beaten egg,
then into the breading mixture before placing it on the greased baking sheet.
  They came out of the oven crispy and delicious!


FLAXSEED BREADED CHICKEN STRIPS

Ingredients:

*1 c. ground flaxseed
*2 Tb. grated Parmesan cheese
*1/2 tsp. garlic powder
*1/2 tsp. oregano
*1 beaten egg
*6 boneless chicken breast halves

Directions:

1.  Preheat oven to 350F. Combine flaxseed, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and oregano in a large bowl or pie plate.
2.  Cut chicken into 1/2" strips and remove any fat.  Dip strips into beaten egg, then coat with crumb mixture.  Place on greased baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes until internal temperature is 160F.

Do you have a favorite food that you eat a lot of?

  • Wednesday: Read what Mike ate Wednesday. My husband wants to lose 15 lbs. and has asked me to create a diet for him. I'm so excited!
  • Thursday: I will make whole grain waffles for my four year-old. It is another recipe that can be made ahead and frozen to reheat later.
  • See whose blogs I am reading on Follow Friday!





Pin It Best Blogger Tips
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...