According to the USDA, Americans consume more food on Super Bowl Sunday than almost any other day of the year. The only day we eat more is on Thanksgiving.
In fact, the Huffington Post estimates that Americans will consume 1.25 billion chicken wings during the game.
To give you an example of just how quickly all of this can add up, imagine a typical Super Bowl party where over a three- to four-hour game, you eat four slices of pepperoni pizza (1135 calories), grab a beer (150 calories), eat six chicken wings (400 calories), then grab a couple dozen tortilla chips with some cheese salsa (600 calories). The total for just that short time: 2,285 calories.Do you want to keep your New Year's resolution to lose weight and eat better?
Or if you just want to avoid that sick feeling after feasting during the Super Bowl, I am sharing six healthy super bowl snacks with you this week.
- Sunday: Skip the pizza and make some Mini Mushroom Pizzas instead.
- Monday: Learn how to make light and crispy Baked Kale Chips.
- Tuesday: Still craving something salty and spicy during the game? Try my recipe for Spicy Roasted Almonds.
- Wednesday: I will show you how to make Tortilla Spirals, a great finger food for your guests and you can see What Matthew Ate Wednesday, my four year-old vegetarian son.
- Thursday: I will share Four Healthy Dips for your veggie tray.
- Friday: See How Fruits Can Add Color and Nutrition to Your Super Bowl Feast.
Are you 1) hosting a Super Bowl party, 2) going to someone else's house, or 3) skipping the Super Bowl all together?