Tuesday, January 24, 2012

RECIPE: Southwest Salad

Best Blogger Tips
[Print this Recipe]

One of our restaurants here in town makes a Southwest salad. 

After hearing for years that Runza had great salads, I finally tried one.  Whenever I did go to Runza, I always ate runzas and fries or onion rings.  It just seemed wrong to get a salad at a fast food joint.  If I was going to eat there, I wanted the greasy food.

So, one afternoon back in November, my sons and I went to a birthday party at Runza.  Feeling motivated to lose weight, I ordered a Southwest Chicken Salad.

WOW!  It was great!  I think I have had 15 Southwest Chicken Salads from there since.

In an effort to save money and because I don't like dragging my sons to restaurants, I made my own recipe for the salad.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

I made this salad with leafy romaine lettuce, a little shredded cheese, green onion, spicy ranch dressing, salsa, and a few crushed tortilla chips.  The result is a slightly spicy, hearty salad that is great with or without diced cooked chicken breast. 


[Print this Recipe]

SOUTHWEST SALAD

Ingredients:

*chopped leafy romaine lettuce
*diced cooked chicken breast (optional)
*1/4 c. shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
*1 chopped green onion
*1/8 c. salsa
*2-3 tortilla chips
*spicy ranch dressing (below)

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, combine desired amount of romaine, green onion, chicken breast, and shredded cheese. Toss with desired amount of dressing and salsa.  Before serving, crush tortilla chips on top of salad.


SPICY RANCH DRESSING

[Print Dressing Recipe]

Ingredients:

*1/2 c. ranch dressing
*1 tsp. chili powder

Directions:

1. In small bowl, mix thoroughly.  Refrigerate until ready to use.

  
Have you tried a salad at a fast food restaurant?  Did you like it?
 
This week, I will share with you six satisfying salads that can be eaten as a meal or to accompany a main course.

  
  • Sunday: I shared my favorite salad, Spinach with Chickpeas and Mushrooms.
  • Monday: See how I made an Asian Salad with Napa cabbage, Mandarin oranges, and cashews.
  • What Matthew Ate Wednesday: See what my four year-old son is eating! I also will share Mixed Berry Salad with feta cheese and raspberry vinaigrette.
  • Thursday: I will share Classic Romaine Salad with shredded Parmesan cheese, grape tomatoes, and black olives.
  • Friday: I will show you Haystacks, the only salad my four year-old eats. We make it with corn chips, chili beans, and guacamole.



Pin It Best Blogger Tips
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...