Thursday, December 1, 2011

RECIPE: Garlic-Cheese No-Knead Bread

Best Blogger Tips
[Print this recipe]

When I was in high school, I "broke my teeth" baking bread as a Sandwich Artist at Subway.  Granted, it doesn't require an "artist" to thaw frozen bread dough in a walk-in cooler, put it in a proofer, and bake it in an industrial oven.   I still learned a little about what it takes to make a loaf of bread and the process inspired me to create my own bread proofer in my microwave. 

My favorite bread at Subway when I was a teenager?  Italian herbs and cheese.

It does take a little more skill to make this kind of bread at Subway; you can't just take it out of the box, thaw it, proof it, and bake it.

Subway Sandwich Artists also have to sprinkle some dried herbs and shredded cheese on it.

Today, I'm sharing a homemade recipe for herbed cheese bread with you.  My recipe is so easy, even a teenage-bread-baking-beginner can make it.  It doesn't require any kneading, only a high speed mixer, like a KitchenAid mixer.  My garlic-cheese no-knead bread also contains white whole wheat flour, adding fiber for a healthy heart, among other benefits.

 First, I dissolved the yeast in warmed, unsweetened almond milk in my Kitchen Aid.
 Then, I added all the other ingredients and mixed it up.
 The white whole wheat makes the dough tan. 
This picture can't show you how mouthwatering the dough smells
with the garlic and herbs in it!
 I am using the bread to make
Italian Veggie Sandwiches for a recipe I will post next week.
I want them the same size as these little ceramic bread pans.
 The recipe made enough dough for a full bread pan, too.
Next, I put the bread in the my microwave proofer.
I keep the boiling water inside if I have enough room.
It raised well, but I should have put more dough in the small pans.

The bread baked perfectly. 
The garlic and herb aroma filled my kitchen, 
making it irresistible! 


GARLIC-CHEESE NO-KNEAD BREAD

Ingredients:

*1 1/2 c. warm milk or unsweetened almond milk
*2 Tb. olive oil
*1/2 c. gluten flour
*1 Tb. yeast
*1/2 tsp. house seasoning
*2-3 cloves minced garlic or 1 tsp. garlic powder
*1/4 tsp. dried oregano
*1/4 tsp. dried marjoram
*1/4 tsp. dried basil
*8 oz. shredded Colby Jack Cheese
*1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
*Non-stick spray

Directions:

1.  Add warm milk and yeast to bowl of Kitchen Aid or other high speed mixer.  Stir with beater attachment on lowest speed for 1 minute.
2.  Add remaining ingredients.  Stir on low until incorporated then increase speed to medium for 1 minute.
3.  Grease 2 bread pans with non-stick spray or olive oil.  Add dough.  Place in microwave proofer or cover with greased plastic wrap and place in a warm room.  Allow to rise for 1 hour.
4.  Preheat oven to 375F.  Bake for 35 min.

This bread makes great sandwiches or is a great accompaniment to pasta.  It is also yummy to eat with eggs for breakfast.

Substitution: You may use 3/4 tsp. Italian seasoning in exchange for the oregano, marjoram, and basil.

What will you make this bread for?

  • Tomorrow on The Way:  Men at Work (in the Kitchen).  See what several fellas are cooking up!
Pin It Best Blogger Tips
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...