Sunday, December 11, 2011

Christmas Cookie #2: Mom's Sugar Cookies

Best Blogger Tips
[Print this Recipe]


My parents and I. (1988)
 "Ooh.  Sugar cookies.  Big deal," you may be thinking.

These aren't just sugar cookies; they are my Mom's Sugar Cookies. 

Let me start by introducing my mother. 

In addition to being amazing outside of the kitchen and one of my best friends, my mother is an exceptional cook.  I keep begging her to co-write my blog with me.

My mom collects cookbooks.  She searches for the best recipes and adds her own tweaks to them.  She learns cooking and food preparation techniques.  After eating a great meal at a restaurant, she brainstorms until she can create it at home.  She has educated herself further through cooking shows and segments. 

When I asked my mom the story behind this sugar cookie recipe, she had no idea.  It is one of those she picked up or created along the way.  We have always made this cookie together at Christmas.  I can remember my young, little hands pressing the sugared goblet down upon the cookie dough.

In the words of my husband's co-worker this week, "This is the best sugar cookie I have ever eaten." 


First, I combined 1 c. sugar, powdered sugar, butter,
and vegetable oil in my Kitchen Aid.
Next, I added the eggs. 
My aunt gave me these from her chickens.
Then, I added real vanilla extract.
Finally, I incorporated the flour mixture.
When the dough was complete, I covered it with plastic wrap
and chilled it in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
While the dough was cooling, I mixed 1 c. sugar with green food coloring.
I want the cookies to have a little green sugar on them.
I spooned the dough with my cookie scoop
and placed the dough on a cookie sheet.

Then, I pressed them with a sugared glass.
And I baked them.  So delicious!


MOM'S SUGAR COOKIES

Ingredients:

*1 c. and 1 c. sugar, divided
*1 c. powdered sugar
*1 c. butter or margarine
*1 c. vegetable oil
*2 eggs
*1 tsp. vanilla extract
*4 c. plus 4 heaping Tb. all-purpose flour
*1 tsp. salt
*1 tsp. baking soda
*1 tsp. cream of tartar
*a few drops food coloring, optional

Directions:

1.  Cream 1 c. sugar, powdered sugar, butter, and vegetable oil.  Add eggs and vanilla.  Mix thoroughly.
2.  In separate bowl, blend flour, salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar.  Add to sugar and butter mixture.  Stir in flour mixture until well incorporated.
3.  Cover and chill dough in refrigerator for 1 hour
4.  Combine remaining 1 c. sugar with drops of food coloring in small bowl, if desired.
5.  Preheat oven to 350F.
6.  Roll refrigerated dough into balls and place on cookie sheet 2" apart.  Flatten cookies with glass bottom dipped in colored sugar.
7.  Bake for 7 minutes.

Yields 4 dozen cookies.

Do you have a favorite recipe of your mom's?

Pin It Best Blogger Tips
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...