Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas Cookie #5: Grandma Eva's Oatmeal Cookies

Best Blogger Tips
[Print this Recipe]

As you may have read in my Thanksgiving post,  we adopt people into our family.  No, we don't take them to the courthouse and have their name changed, but we accept people as our own.

When I was growing up, my mom adopted "Grandma" Eva.  She was a sweet, elderly woman who lived alone in our town.  Her family lived several hours away, so my mom and I would go have coffee with her, to check on her and keep her company. 

Eva cooked for the public school for many years, back when school food was actually made in the cafeteria instead of reheated.  She baked these cookies often and served them to hundreds of students.

Many oatmeal cookie recipes are made with raisins.  What makes these cookies special is the addition of coconut and walnuts.  You finely chop the coconut, raisins, and walnuts together, incorporating the fine pieces into the cookie.  People who don't like coconut or raisins may not even be able to tell they are in there, but they definitely add to the sweet taste of the cookie.

First, I added raisins, coconut, and walnuts to my Vitamix
and turned it on medium speed for 20-30 seconds.
The Vitamix chopped them together well.

Next, I mixed the butter and sugar in my Kitchen Aid.

I added the eggs and vanilla extract to the sugar-butter mixture.
Then, I incorporated the flour.
And I added the oats.
I ended up the classic oatmeal cookie dough.
Finally, I added the raisins, coconut, and nuts.
Then, I began spooning out the dough with my cookie scoop.
After I had the balls of cookie dough on my baking sheet,
I flattened the cookies slightly using a large spoon.
My husband's boss agreed,
"The best damn cookies I've ever eaten."


GRANDMA EVA'S OATMEAL COOKIES

Ingredients:

*1 c. raisins
*1 c. walnuts
*1/2 c. sweetened coconut
*1 c. butter or margarine
*2 c. sugar
*2 eggs
*1 tsp. vanilla
*2 c. flour
*1 tsp. baking soda
*1/2 tsp. salt
*2 c. quick oats

Directions:

1.  Preheat oven to 350F.
2.  Chop raisins, walnuts, and coconut together.
3.  Cream butter and sugar in large bowl.  Add eggs and vanilla.  Beat until smooth. 
3.  Combine flour, baking soda, and salt.  Mix into creamed mixture until blended. 
4.  Add oats and raisin mixture into dough. Mix well.
5.  Form into balls and place on cookie sheet.  Flatten slightly.
6.  Bake for 8-10 minutes at 350F.

Yields 4-5 dozen.

Do you have someone you have "adopted" into your family?
Pin It Best Blogger Tips
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...