Tuesday, December 27, 2011

RECIPE: Smoked Salmon Spread

Best Blogger Tips [Print this Recipe]

Since most of the recipes on this blog are vegetarian or vegan, a lot of people ask me, "Are you a vegetarian?"

My answer:  "No, but I would like to be again someday."

However, we don't eat much meat.

Once every two weeks or so, we eat red meat.  Since my grandparents were ranchers, my mom grew up eating beef every day and fed it to me as a child.  It's tough to be vegetarian here, since there are as many cows in our state as humans.

I know the health risks associated with eating red meat and my husband inherited the predisposition for type 2 diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, and cancer.  I am weaning us off of beef again, so I don't buy it anymore.  I haven't bought beef since this summer, but we still have some left in our freezer. 

We also eat fish and chicken for supper several times a week, but about half of the time, we eat meatless dinners. 

Sometimes you will find recipes here which call for meat or fish.  Today, I'm sharing Smoked Salmon Spread with you. 

The smoked salmon gives this spread a rich, savory taste.  The firm neufchatel cheese base makes it a great spread for Hor d'oeuvres, while the red salmon and green onion add color to any plate.

First, I drained a can of red smoked salmon and removed the skin
before I added it to two packages of neufchatel cheese.

I flaked the salmon with a fork before stirring it in the neufchatel cheese.
I chopped two green onions and added them.
I julienned a few for garnish, then mixed the rest into the spread.


SMOKED SALMON SPREAD

Ingredients:

*6 oz. can of smoked sockeye salmon
*2 8 oz. pkgs of neufchatel or cream cheese
*2 green onions

Directions:

1.  Soften neufchatel cheese for several hours at room temperature in medium mixing bowl.
2.  Drain can of salmon.  Remove skin. Add to neufchatel cheese and flake salmon apart.  Mix into neufchatel cheese.
3.  Chop green onions into small pieces.  Add to cheese and salmon mixture. Mix well.
4.  Refrigerate spread until ready to serve on crackers. 

How often do you eat meat?  Are you a vegetarian or vegan?
  • Join me tomorrow for What Matthew Ate Wednesday and vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip.
  • I would love to see what you are mixing up in your kitchen.  Add your recipe by linking it up here.  I decided to extend submissions until Wednesday at midnight because of the holidays.
Pin It Best Blogger Tips
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...