Sunday, December 11, 2011

Christmas Cookie #1: Peppermint Meltaways

Best Blogger Tips
The flavor of peppermint transports me instantly into a winter wonderland.  It makes me think of candy canes, naturally, but the chill flavor also reminds me of a carpet of white snow on the lawn and adorning the trees. 

My first Christmas on my own, I ordered a set of Christmas recipes from Land O Lakes.  I found that cool winter flavor in their recipe for Peppermint Meltaways.  Since then, I have made this cookie every year. 

The butter, powdered sugar, and cornstarch shortbread creates a light and crisp texture that does "melt away" in your mouth.  The dainty pink frosting and the sprinkle of peppermints on top makes this cookie perfect to gift for every Christmas. 

First, I creamed butter, powdered sugar, and peppermint extract
in my Kitchen Aid mixer.

Then, I added flour and cornstarch.
After I mixed it, I covered the dough with plastic wrap
and refrigerated it for an hour.
I used my cookie scoop 
and rolled the dough into balls.
Next, I baked them for 12-15 minutes.
They came out perfectly!
After I baked the cookies,
I made the frosting and added red food coloring.
I put 5-6 mints in my Vitamix 
and turned it on medium for 3 seconds.
(Yes, it only took 3 seconds to crush the mints.)
Instead of drizzling the icing,
I decided to use a parchment cone
and make a disposable decorating bag.
The cookies are prettier if I use and thicker frosting.
I filled the parchment cone.
Finally, I iced the cookies
and sprinkled the peppermint pieces on top. 
Part of the reason I love these cookies
is because they turn out so lovely.
The other reason is because they are yummy!

As I mentioned above, the recipe is from Land O Lakes.


Do you have a company's recipe that you have adopted as your own?
  • Come back tomorrow for Mom's Sugar Cookies!
Pin It Best Blogger Tips
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...