Sunday, August 1, 2010

RECIPE: Zucchini Patties (Vegetarian, dairy-free)

Best Blogger Tips I have a hard time imagining why anyone needs to buy zucchini in the summer.  At least where I live, zucchini grows so prolifically in backyard gardens that nearly everyone knows someone who is trying to give it away.

I've made this recipe for zucchini patties twice in the past three days.  It is so delicious, especially since all of the vegetables I use are grown organically in my own garden.

ZUCCHINI PATTIES
Zucchini Patties.  Yum!
Ingredients:

*2-3 medium zucchini
*1 egg, beaten
*1 cup bread crumbs
*1/4 cup green onion, minced
*1 clove garlic, minced
*1/2 cup all-purpose flour
*1/2 cup vegetable oil (for frying)

Directions:

1. Shred zucchini with a grater or use a food processor with a shredder attachment, enough to yield 2 1/2 c.
2. Put shredded zucchini in a kitchen towel, wring out all the excess water. Remove from towel and place in mixing bowl.
3. Add egg, bread crumbs, green onion, garlic, and flour. Mix well.
4. Heat skillet on medium for 5 minutes. Add oil.
5. Spoon out portions of zucchini mix and shape into patties. Fry until golden brown




Serves 4-6.

Tips:
1.  When choosing zucchini, if you pick it while the diameter 2-3" or less, you can avoid peeling.  The peel is where most of the nutrients are stored.
2.  The patties stay together better if the water from the zucchini is wrung out well.
3.  I love my appliances.  Having a Food Processor and my KitchenAid Stand Mixer saves me a lot of time!
4.  I always use an Ice Cream Scoop to scoop the patty mixture to ensure patties are the same size.
5.  By heating the pan first, then adding oil and heating it before adding the patties, the patties (or any other food) won't stick to the pan as easily than if you add the food before pan and oil are preheated.

Variations:
1.  I have made these patties with shredded cabbage (coleslaw mix) and they are also very tasty!
2. Add more garlic and oregano to the zucchini mixture, roll into balls, place in a baking dish, and cover with pasta sauce.  Cover with a lid or foil and bake at 350 F for 45 min.

I suppose these could be vegan with the substitution of wheat gluten or another binder to keep the patties together instead of using the egg.

How did you like these? 
Pin It Best Blogger Tips

2 comments:

  1. I'm making this for dinner tonight!!! Thank for the recipe, my hubby is going to love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so! I was told this week at church to bring it for potluck again! Did he like it?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...