Thursday, August 12, 2010

7 Day Diva Detox Day 1: Prayer and Fasting

Best Blogger Tips
[beggs, flickr.com]
For those of you who don't know, yesterday was the beginning of Ramadan, the Islamic holy month of fasting.  Though I'm not Muslim, I am fasting today, the first day of my 7 Day Diva Detox.

Unlike those who are fasting as a rite of holy worship, reflection, and prayer, I am fasting to cleanse my body from the impurities I have been putting into it: cookies, chips, french fries, popcorn chicken, etc.  However, would I really be eating these things if I was in tune with the Creator?  If I spent more time in worship, reflection, and prayer, would I crave the things that poison my body?

It is no coincidence that 11 main religions of the world participate in some kind of fast.  Most of these religions fast to get closer to God, free the mind, and focus on spiritual matters.  Even as a Christian, I can appreciate the fasting ritual Muslims in the world are observing right now.  I believe that I can learn from the faith of others, from their traditions, their rituals, and how they may or may not apply to my faith.

What I've learned about Ramadan today:

It is during this month that Muslims fast. It is called the Fast of Ramadan and lasts the entire month. Ramadan is a time when Muslims concentrate on their faith and spend less time on the concerns of their everyday lives. It is a time of worship and contemplation.  [holidays.net]
How I can apply this to my fast/detox:
My fast/detox will be for this week (the next seven days, appropriate since seven is a spiritual number to Christians).  Fasting from all food (not water) until this evening, will help me to focus on getting back in tune with the Creator.  I am listening to Handel's Messiah to help keep my mind where it needs to be.  I think it will be essential to staying on the detox, something that has been very difficult for me in the past, especially when I ignore the spiritual aspect of fasting/detox.
 About Ramadan:
In addition to the fast, Ramadan is also a time to re-evaluate one's convictions and deeds. It is a time to mend troubled relationships, give charity, find forgiveness for others, and refocus on worshipping Allah (God). [holidays.net]
How can I apply this to my fast/detox:
I am spending today thinking about my own relationship with God and others.  How can I be a better Christian, wife, mother, daughter, friend?  What barriers have I put in the way of serving God and others?  I am praying about all of these things specifically and looking for ways that I can improve upon them.
About Ramadan:

During Ramadan, it is common for Muslims to go to the Masjid (Mosque) and spend several hours praying and studying the Quran. In addition to the five daily prayers, during Ramadan Muslims recite a special prayer called the Taraweeh prayer (Night Prayer). The length of this prayer is usually 2-3 times as long as the daily prayers. [holidays.net]
How I can apply this to my fast/detox:
Today I will spend special time reading and in prayer and meditation.  Since I'm not required to pray at specific times, I'm praying every two hours, which is already helping me with the fast/detox.

There are plenty of differences between the Islam and Christianity.  I don't believe these things are prescribed by God or that they are necessary for salvation, however, I can see how fasting and meditation brings me closer to God.

I will have a monomeal of cherries tonight when I go off the fast.

(Even though I didn't have breakfast today, I still enjoyed a great 15 minute run and 15 minutes of strength training without any dizziness or fatigue!)

Find yourself some meditation and prayer, while regaining health of body and mind today!

What do you do to find spiritual balance in your life? Pin It Best Blogger Tips

2 comments:

  1. yes!! Enjoy the fast! I imagine I will see you there on the forums! :) I Just finished my detox, and boy did some processed foods NOT sit well in my stomach last night! (As my recent blog post explains.) Sticking to highly raw from here on out! Have fun with the 7 day program!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I have to restart since I was on the road for the past three days and where I live there aren't raw choices at restaurants. It is amazing how awful I feel after only a few days of processed food. I really don't understand how the guy from Supersize me did it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...