Thursday, August 5, 2010

RECIPE: Fruit "Ice Cream" (Raw Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-free)

Best Blogger Tips I absolutely love ice cream.  In fact, it is one of my "comfort foods," a food that makes me feel emotionally good as well as tasting good.  I stopped drinking cow's milk and eating ice cream when I was pregnant with my son because it gave me heartburn.  Especially in the summer, I still crave the cold sweetness of cream.

After I purchased my Vita-Mix Vita Prep 3, I created fruit "ice cream."  In addition to being delicious and filled with antioxidants, it is raw, vegan and gluten-free.

Cherry "Ice Cream"
Fruit Ice Cream

Ingredients:
  • 16 oz. (1 lb.) of frozen fruit
  • 3/4 to 1 cup of nut milk (or more, depending on blender or food processor)
  • 1 Tb. of raw honey or agave syrup (if needed)

Directions:
1.  Put all ingredients into blender or food processor.
2.  Process on high until consistency of soft serve ice cream.

Serve immediately.  "Ice cream" may be placed in the freezer, but it may become too hard to scoop.

Serves 1-3.

Tips:
1.  Using a blender with a tamper, like a Vita-Mix Vita Prep 3, will help thoroughly blend the fruit.
2.  Buying fresh fruit on sale and freezing in quart bags ensures fruit has not been blanched before freezing.

Variations:
1.  Soy milk can be used in exchange for nut milk.
2.  Young coconut milk can be used in exchange for nut milk.
3.  Water can be used to make sorbet in exchange for nut milk.
4.  Sweet cherries, blueberries, mixed fruit, pineapple, and mixed berries do not need extra sweetening; peaches, strawberries, sour cherries, and raspberries are more likely to need sweetener.

What kind of fruit did you use when making this recipe?  How did it work for you?  Do you have any tips that you would like to share?Pin It Best Blogger Tips

2 comments:

  1. Yes!! I love Living ice "kremes"!!

    I like to use 2-3 frozen pre-cut bananas slices instead of various milks. Then I add mixed berries, or mango, or peaches! Sometimes no sweetener is needed with the berries, or peach + honey was wonderful, too.

    I have also added agave and cacao powder for a chocolatey treat. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try the bananas. I don't want to use milk, but otherwise it is a little too slushy. I wouldn't have to use the sweetener either. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...