Sunday, November 6, 2011

RECIPE: Slow Cooked Split Pea Soup (Vegan)

Best Blogger Tips
Many families have weekly food traditions.  In our house, we eat biscuits every Saturday morning.  Sometimes I make them from scratch; other times I buy them in the refrigerated tube that POPS when you open it.  I know of another family makes eats pizza every Friday night.  Most Catholics refrain from eating meat on Fridays during lent and instead choose to eat fish.

In my reading about Sweden, I have learned that Swedes eat pea soup with pancakes for dessert every Thursday.  Since I want to move to Sweden (or at least visit) and am half-Swede or a Swede-wannabe, I decided to make split pea soup last Thursday.

Granted, my recipe isn't Swedish, but it is delicious! I didn't use pork or yellow split peas.  I also made the American version of pancakes which are fluffy as opposed to the crepe-style Swedish pancakes.  I used my crock pot for the soup, though it can be made on the stove and slowly simmered.

Warm Bowl of Split Pea Soup
SLOW COOKED SPLIT PEA SOUP

Ingredients:

*16 oz. split peas, rinsed and inspected as directed on package
*1/2 c. diced onion
*1 Tb. butter or margarine (optional)

Directions:

1.  Add all ingredients to slow cooker.  Simmer at low temperature for 5 hours.
2.  Serve immediately.  If you are feeling Swedish, serve thin pancakes topped with whipped cream and berries or berry jam for dessert.

Serves 4.

Did you like it? What kind of food traditions do you have?Pin It Best Blogger Tips
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...