Tuesday, February 21, 2012

RECIPE: Chocolate Cherry Breakfast Cookie

Best Blogger Tips
[Print this Recipe]

I hate mornings.

When I wake up, I don't want to squint as the sun shines in my eyes.  I'm wired to stay up late at night.  I love to sleep.  Mornings are an unpleasant interruption.  I would rather stay in bed. I don't want to get up and make breakfast for anyone.

But, I have a family.  I have two sons, one of whom is in preschool. I have a husband who gets up early before me and goes to work for the day. 

I need to get them fed before they go out the door, but I'm not going to wake up a half an hour early to make something from scratch.  Breakfasts are often reheated homemade waffles, cereal, or quick oats loaded with fruit and nuts.

This breakfast cookie is a perfect morning convenience food.  They can be made a few days ahead of time or frozen for several months.

Unlike store-bought breakfast bars, the first ingredient isn't high fructose corn syrup.  In fact, there is no added sugar or fat in these cookies.  Since oatmeal is a great source of protein, there is no need to make these with eggs.  The oatmeal, ground flaxseed, walnuts, and dried fruit make these high in fiber, while the bananas and applesauce add nutrients and sweeten the cookie naturally.



CHOCOLATE CHERRY BREAKFAST COOKIES

Ingredients:

*2-3 overripe bananas
*1 c. applesauce
*1 tsp. vanilla extract
*1 1/2 c. quick oats
*1/4 c. chopped walnuts
*1/4 c. cocoa
*1/4 c. dried cherries
*1/8 c. ground flaxseed

Directions:

1.  Preheat oven to 350 F.
2.  Mix bananas, applesauce, and vanilla until thoroughly blended.  Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
3.  Drop heaping tablespoonsful of dough onto greased baking sheet.  Bake for 30-35 minutes.
4.  Store in air-tight container until ready to serve.

Yields 1 dozen breakfast cookies.  Each cookie is approximately 130 calories.

Do you hate getting up in the morning like me or are you a "morning person"?

See this linked at http://kellythekitchenkop.com/.
Pin It Best Blogger Tips
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...