Tuesday, August 7, 2012

WIAW: To Wean or Not To Wean

Best Blogger Tips

My baby turned 1 year-old last week.

I haven't been exclusively breastfeeding for a long time; at six months, we introduced his baby cereal with 1 oz. of formula.  Now, he eats every 2-3 hours and nurses about that often during the day.  He also drinks goats' milk from a cup.

With my other son, I nursed him until he was 15 months old.  I have to admit, I'm feeling a little guilt about ending breastfeeding while the youngest is only 12 months old.

But I have 8 good reasons to stop, 8 sharp, pearly whites that bite.

Granted, he only bites me every few days.  I don't think he even means to most of the time.  The bites are bad, but the constant contact of those teeth on me is killer. 

I am storing up breastmilk in the freezer.  In case he gets sick, I can give it him, boosting his immunities and helping him recover sooner. I decided that when I have six bags of milk in the freezer, I will stop.  I'm at 5 1/2 right now.

So, we are almost ready.

Here is what I ate:


After getting home from the gym, I ate my usual, a bowl of Nature's Path Flaxseed Plus with an extra tablespoon of ground flax.  I changed up my almond milk to unsweetened and now add 1 tsp. of Stevita to my cereal.

Although I nearly always have a wrap for lunch, I decided to eat something different for WIAW.  I made a Follow Your Heart vegan cheddar cheese sandwich with lettuce, sliced tomato from the farmers market, and a smear of Vegenaise on Ezekiel bread toast.

In the late afternoon, I accidentally ate a 90 calorie Fiber One Brownie.  I meant to put it in my husband's lunch, but opened it instead.  I went ahead and enjoyed it.

For my afternoon snack, I drank a protein shake made with soy protein, unsweetened almond milk, and a 2 tsp. of Stevita.

I made eggplant parmesan for supper for my family.  The eggplant is from my garden and I baked the breaded slices on a baking sheet for 30 min. instead of frying them.  After they cooked, I layered them with tomato sauce and shredded Follow Your Heart vegan mozzarella cheese.  I topped it with minced garlic from my garden and basil and oregano that is growing in my windowsill.  I also ate a romaine lettuce salad.

I ate 5 pieces of Dove Dark Chocolate Swirled with Raspberry for dessert.  YUMMY!

Working Out

After taking last week off due to a nasty cold, I started working out again this week.  My intention was to just use the elliptical on Monday morning, but since I felt so good when I arrived at the gym, I went ahead and ran 15 out of 30 minutes on the treadmill. 

The woman beside me, someone whom I see often at the Y, asked me, "Are you doing the triathlon?"

"No, I'm just trying to get through today after having a bad cold last week," I replied.

"You should do the triathlon.  I am and you are here as much as I am," She continued.

So, I went home and signed up for the Lazy(wo)man Triathlon.  I've never done one before.


I'm starting off slowly, but I know I will have to increase my daily totals (and get up earlier) to get it done in time.

1. How are your workouts going? Have you tried anything new lately?

2. If you are a mother, did you breastfeed?  Did you feel guilty when you stopped?

Be sure to come back for Friday Vegetarian Potluck and add a link to your recipe!


Pin It Best Blogger Tips
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...