"The cellular damage caused by free radicals can lead to a number of degenerative and chronic diseases such as Alzheimer's disease, many cancers, heart disease, immune system problems, atherosclerosis, dementia, diabetes, thrombosis, and even certain eye disorders.This easy enchilada recipe is one of our favorite ways to eat black beans. I make the beans ahead of time in the crockpot and keep them in the freezer, but you can also use canned beans. I make my own enchilada sauce (recipe below), however, canned sauce also works well.
"A study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry in 2003 investigated the antioxidant activity of 12 common varieties of dry beans. Black beans came out on top, having more antioxidant activity, gram for gram, than the other beans." (healwithfood.org)
*2 c. cooked black beans
*4 large sprouted grain tortillas
*1 c. cheddar cheese or vegan cheddar cheese
*Non-stick cooking spray
2. Pour 1/4 c. of enchilada sauce in baking dish. Spread evenly.
3. Add 1/2 c. of black beans, 2 Tb. enchilada sauce, and 2 Tb. cheese to the center of a tortilla. Spread lengthwise and roll up tortilla. Place in baking dish, seam down. Repeat with three other tortillas.
4. Top with remaining enchilada sauce and cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. Serves 4-6.
*2 Tb. self-rising flour
*8 oz. can of tomato sauce
*1/4 c. chili powder
*1 1/2 c. water
*1 clove garlic, minced
*1/4 tsp. cumin
*1/4 tsp. onion powder
*1/4 tsp. salt
2. In a small saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Stir in flour and chili powder, reduce heat to medium, and cook until lightly brown, stirring constantly.
3. Gradually stir in tomato sauce mixture into the flour mixture until smooth, and continue cooking over medium heat approximately 10 minutes or until it reaches desired consistency. May be used immediately or refrigerated or frozen for later use.
- Be sure to come back for What I Ate Wednesday and see what my daily diet is like.
- On Friday, I'm hosting Vegetarian Potluck. Stop by and link up your own recipe and photo. See what other meatless recipes our friends share.