Tuesday, July 3, 2012

WIAW: Cool Salads for a Steamy Summer

Best Blogger Tips
It has been hot here, really hot.

Last week, the daytime temperature topped 110 F for a few days.  This week, it has "cooled down," with highs in the upper 90s.

Thankfully, we had our air conditioner replaced in April.  I don't think I could make it without it!

The YMCA in town also has a great cooling system, allowing me to continue on my quest through the Couch to 5K program.  I spent two weeks at week 3, thanks to my knees, but started week 4 on Monday.  My knees are virtually pain-free now, which I attribute to strength training and apple cider vinegar.

Easy sandwiches and salads seem to be the only foods I feel like preparing during the heat of summer.  I've come up with a few new ones this week.

Below,  you will find some of the cool foods I ate. 


For breakfast, I ate my standby favorite: Nature's Path Flaxseed Plus cereal with almond milk and 1 Tb. of ground flaxseed meal.

Lunch was Three Ingredient Not-zerella Cheese Spread on homemade tomato-oregano bread with a Vegan Caprese Salad.  I'm still working on a post for the Caprese salad, but you can find my Three Ingredient Not-zerella Cheese Spread recipe here.

As a snack, I ate Vegan Artichoke Garbanzo Bean Salad.  My husband loves this stuff!  I am working on a post for this recipe, too, so check back!

For supper, I made stuffed green peppers.  I didn't feel like cooking, so I used an Archer Farms frozen rice blend with corn, rice, and peppers.  I added black beans and a little vegan cheese to mine, giving my husband the Organic Valley shredded cheddar in his.  I also had a side of sliced tomato from the farmers market with fresh cilantro. 

I kept dessert simple: four dates.

How hot has it been where you are?





Pin It Best Blogger Tips
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...