Monday, September 20, 2010

TIP: Apple Fries

Best Blogger Tips
What kid doesn't like french fries?  My son used to scream "FRIES! FRIES! FRIES!" whenever we would hit a drive thru.  We called it the "F" word since he would start yelling it if he heard either of us say "fries."  He even would shout "FRIES!" when we went to the bank drive up window!
My apple "fries"

Very rarely does our three year-old eat fries anymore.  In fact, as I'm typing this, I can't remember the last time I fed him any!

Our son's diet consists of home-canned applesauce, bananas, raisins, steamed broccoli (loves this stuff!), home grown green beans, occasionally peas, homemade bread, and potatoes.  He won't really eat anything else.

Last week after posting a link to tips about how to encourage kids to try new foods, I was inspired.  I let Matthew help me make "apple fries." He helped by throwing the cores away while I cut the apple into fry-size sticks.  I grabbed a "special" bowl for him and he devoured them!

He usually tells me he doesn't like apples, only applesauce.

Matthew enjoying apple "fries"!
I did the same thing with zucchini a month ago.  I cut the zucchini into sticks, put a little oil on them, and lightly baked them in the oven.  I let him eat them with regular ketchup, however, I was so proud of myself for getting him to eat zucchini!

When I was little, I remember my mom making me "octopuses" by microwaving hot dogs after cutting one half into what looked like tentacles.  I'd never feed my son processed meat, but she had a great concept: making food fun.

What ways do you make food fun for your children?  Pin It Best Blogger Tips
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...