Tuesday, July 17, 2012

RECIPE: Whole Wheat Waffles (Vegan)

Best Blogger Tips
[Print this Recipe]

I like to make waffles for my family on Sunday mornings.

My oldest son loves them, often eating three or four for breakfast.  Later in the day, he may sneak one to snack on.

I always try to make several batches at a time, so I can individually freeze them to pop in the toaster later in the week.  Making waffles is messy, which may account for the boxes and boxes of different waffle brands in the frozen food section at the grocery store. 

This recipe makes the most crispy, light whole wheat waffles I have ever eaten.  By using Ener-G Egg Replacer, the waffles bind together well, unlike other vegan waffle recipes I have tried. The ground flaxseed adds fiber and omega 3s.

Each waffle contains about 337 calories, 19 grams of fat, 4 grams of fiber, and 4 grams of protein.  If you decide to cut back on the amount of oil in the recipe, let me know how it goes. 

I thought this waffle was tasty enough to eliminate any butter or margarine. I also didn't need to top it with syrup.



[Print this Recipe]

WHOLE WHEAT WAFFLES (Vegan)

Ingredients:

*4 c. whole wheat pastry flour
*2 Tb. baking powder
*2 Tb. sugar
*2 Tb. ground flaxseed
*2 c. almond milk (I used Silk original flavor)
*2 tsp. vanilla extract
*2/3 c. canola oil
*1/2 c. water
*2 Tb. Ener-G Egg Replacer

Directions:

1.  In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, and flaxseed. 
2.  In measuring cup combine vanilla extract with almond milk. Add to flour mixture.  Mix well.  Add canola oil and mix thoroughly.
3.  Combine water and egg replacer in a small bowl until well mixed.  Stir into waffle mixture.  Allow to rest for 10 minutes while preheating waffle iron.
4.  Cook in waffle iron as directed.  Serve immediately.  Waffles may also be refrigerated or frozen and reheated in a toaster.  Yields approximately 12-15 waffles.

  • Come back tomorrow to see what I've eaten on What I Ate Wednesday!

  • On Friday, I'm hosting a Vegetarian Potluck.  Join me and share a link and picture of your favorite meatless recipe.


 
This recipe is linked up on Live and Love to Eat.
 
Pin It Best Blogger Tips
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...