Thursday, June 28, 2012

My Affordable Health Care Reform

Best Blogger Tips Today is a big day for healthcare in this country.

The Supreme Court of the United States ruled the Affordable Health Care Act is constitutional.  Whether they are for or against "Obamacare," nearly everyone can recognize that healthcare in our country will change as a result of the ruling today.

It is also a big day for me.

For the first time, I am posting my "before and after" pictures on my blog.  Actually, they are both "during and during," since I still want to lose another 38 lbs. and I actually started at 212 lbs. 

(My highest weight was 242 lbs., my weight immediately before birthing my son last July.  I lost 30 lbs. by the time I came home from the hospital three days later.)

The first picture is of me at 192 lbs., right before I started following the Forks Over Knivesdiet (similar to the The Engine 2 Dietand Dr. McDougall's The Starch Solution).  I had already lost 20 lbs. from August 2011 to January 2012, but I hit a plateau and lost my resolve to lose weight.  I was eating lots of protein (thinking I must to lose weight), fruits, and vegetables.

The second picture is of me a few days ago.  I hit 173 lbs., nearly 20 lbs. lost from February when I began a vegan plant-based diet. 

I'm not vegan 100% of the time, but I try to eat lots of whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and soy products a few times a week.  About once a month, I eat beef and twice a month, I eat chicken.  I eat dairy products a few times a month.


I still have a long way to go, but it is great to see the changes in my body.  By reducing 10% of my body weight, I have

  • Reduced my LDL ["bad"] cholesterol
  • Improved my glucose tolerance
  • Lowered my risk for cardiovascular disease
  • Increased my energy level
  • Reduced my risk of developing type 2 diabetes
Further, by losing 10% at a slower pace, the weight is more likely to stay off since it is a result of my lifestyle change, not a crash diet.  (WebMD)

The greatest health reform that I can see is in the mirror.

I'm almost finished with the recipe for Spicy Black Bean Quinoa!  Check back today and tomorrow for this versatile gluten-free, dairy-free dish!Pin It Best Blogger Tips
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...