Sunday, June 10, 2012

Jamming on a Saturday Night

Best Blogger Tips Last night, we ran out of jam.

Several years ago, I made pear-raspberry jam and strawberry-pear jam.  The pear-raspberry was the absolute best and didn't last long.  A month ago, I found a jar of strawberry-pear, then started sending it on sandwiches for my husband's lunches.

For the past year, we have been using store-bought jams.  Until recently, we didn't go through much of it, one jar every few months or so.  Since my husband takes his lunch to work every night, we have went through jam much more quickly.

After I made his sandwiches at around 5:00pm, I added jam to the grocery list.  Then, I got inspired. 

Before he left for work, I walked to the store and picked up pears, frozen raspberries, sugar, and pectin.  Two and a half hours later, I had nine pints of pear-raspberry jam and, remarkably, a clean kitchen.

The tangy and sweet taste of homemade jam and jelly is so much better than store bought varieties, which are often bland and full of high fructose corn syrup.   Since no pressure cooking is required, they are quick and easy to make. 


Instead of sending my husband peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, I'm sending him homemade whole wheat bread with Justin's Maple Almond Butter and homemade pear-raspberry jam.  Yes, the sandwiches are as delicious as they sound!




Pin It Best Blogger Tips
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...